Aug 14, 2009

(500) Days of Summer was a really good movie, in my opinion. I actually didn't predict too much of the plot (there was one major plot point I saw coming from a mile away, but only because of some foreshadowing at the beginning). I won't tell you any details, because you just have to see the movie for yourself if you want to know about it. (Or go look it up, I don't care, but you won't get anything from me!)

I have to admit, part of me wanted to see the movie just because the main stars are very attractive people. I find Zooey Deschanel incredibly beautiful, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt to have this kind of shy handsomeness that is so rare (at least, in my world). I also liked how it looked like an "indie" flick. I wanted to feel cool watching it. I guess my intentions in seeing it were not great, but I'm glad I saw it, either way.

It's the same as when I wanted to see Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist. The ONLY reason I wanted to see it was because, and I'm not kidding here, my name was in the title. I'm glad that I watched it, because I really like it now, but I wanted to see it for a stupid reason.

I guess it doesn't really matter why we want to watch movies. It just matters what we think of them after we've seen them. I can't remember the first time I watched my top two favorite movies (most favorite being The Princess Bride, and second favorite being Waking Ned Devine), but I'm glad I saw them. They are excellent examples of great cinematic endeavors. (Speaking of which, William Goldman, author of The Princess Bride, had his birthday a couple days ago. Not sure if I mentioned that in an earlier blog post.)

So how do you choose what movies to watch? Do you remember why you wanted to watch your favorites for the very first time?

2 comments:

  1. I watch movies for shallow reasons. I've explained this to you. Good day.

    P.S. I'm beyond jealous you got to see 500 Days of Summer. So jealous. JEALOUS!! ASDASJDONASDJNSK!!!!! >=O

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes yes, I know, but that's YOU. You're just weird. :D

    GO SEE IT, DUMMY! Or download it illegally. That's always the good way to do things.

    ReplyDelete